[time-nuts] cheap 5V OCXO in 14DIP has about 1E-9 drift per day

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Sat Apr 16 20:50:53 UTC 2011

Bruce Griffiths wrote:
> Oz-in-DFW wrote:
>>
>> On 4/9/2011 11:29 AM, Greg Broburg wrote:
>>> <deletia>
>>>
>>> I expect that I am missing something obvious here
>>> a little nudge may help.
>>>
>>> Regards;
>>>
>>> Greg
>>>
>> What you are missing is that the concept only applies to small integer
>> (2 or 3) division ratios and won't work as speculated here.  It's sort
>> of (long stretch here) like injection locking in reverse.  If you want
>> I'll try and post some links to papers later.
>>
> Nonsense, its already been done for much larger ratios and they need
> not be integers.
> Try simulating it.
>
> Bruce

One counter example to the simplistic statement about the operating mode
of a regenerative divider being restricted to division by small integers
only, is that such analysis appears to preclude the possibility of using
a regenerative divider to produce a frequency comb. Unfortunately a
regenerative divider has already been used to produce a low noise
frequency comb where the comb frequency spacing is f/n(where f is the
input frequency and n is an integer). Its possible to extract a
frequency that is a rational fraction (m/n where m and n are integers)
of the input frequency from such a  regenerative frequency comb. Thus
there is at least one method of using a regenerative divider to produce
a 10MHz signal from a 26MHz signal.

Bruce