[time-nuts] 60hz disciplined watch follow up

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Apr 21 19:29:00 UTC 2011

> My estimate of the citizen ecodrives automatic rate adjustment occures at 10 day intervals.

That only works if you can track the signal continuously.

Suppose you lose the signal for a while.  How many cycles was that?  If it's
only a short while and your clock is stable enough, you can assume you will
come back on the right cycle and only be off a bit on the phase.  Your clock
stability determines how long a "short" while is.

Now consider that your watch will be out of contact for 8 hours while you
sleep.  If it was accurate to 1 cycle in 8 hours, you wouldn't need to go
through this much effort to calibrate it.

This is similar to the problem of RS-232 clock accuracy.  The receiver needs
to be able to determine the difference between N and N+1 identical bits.