[time-nuts] HP59309A clock

k6rtm at comcast.net k6rtm at comcast.net
Wed Apr 27 14:47:40 UTC 2011

Saying that the HP59309A clock is an HP-IB device is somewhat misleading...

It's a very early HP-IB device. No microprocessor control. Not even the complex state-machine of the 8660 series.

I'm doing this from memory, but it's like your memory of the dry heaves -- a little fuzzy around the edges, but still intense...

You have an HP-IB command to reset the clock.

Then you have HP-IB commands to increment different fields.

So to set the date to the 13th, you send the increment date command 13 times...

I think you get the idea.

The resulting code to set the clock is easy enough to write, and once you write it, you never, ever want to look at it again.

Well, I guess it is interesting in its own pathological way...

73 bob k6rtm