[time-nuts] Weird TEC data

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Wed Aug 3 02:18:17 UTC 2011

Here's the latest plot from my TEC test rigs.  Y-axis is phase error
(in 60 Hz cycles), X-axis is time in MJD.  The plot starts at 7AM local time.

http://n5tnl.com/tec/tec_test_01.png

Same serial connected embedded hardware, timestamped on the receipt
of first character.  One machine (red line) is a Sun running debian,
the other (green line) is a Dell PC, also running debian.  Both
running ntp, of course.  One is located in a fairly large city (by
Arkansas standards!), the other is out in a small country
town.  Different utility providers.

The general shape and bumps in the plots track nicely, but I'm
wondering why there's so many cycles difference after 36 hours.

Comments?