[time-nuts] GPSDO for my rubber duckie

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Aug 6 06:24:33 UTC 2011

msokolov at ivan.Harhan.ORG said:
> But I _*REFUSE*_ to do it that way.  You've mentioned UTC: that's one thing
> I'm taking great care to avoid in my solution.  I want my system to be
> completely insulated from whatever evil things the ITU may do to UTC and
> leap seconds.  ...

I think you have two choices.

One is to use time as defined by ITU and their friends like GPS and something
like IERS to tell you the offset from UTC/GPS/whatever to mean solar time.
After that, it's just a bit of software.  (Most of us probably can't help
much because we don't understand which parts of the system you don't like
and/or we don't understand the implementation details that you have already
selected.)

The other choice is to get a telescope and camera and track the sun yourself
and setup a PLL to track mean solar time.

You might check the Long Now project.  I think they are PLL-ing to solar
time, but it's all mechanical, no opportunities for FPGAs or your own OS.