[time-nuts] Why not TAI? (was: The future of UTC)

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Aug 10 06:04:52 UTC 2011

In message <20110810074152.496cb081.attila at kinali.ch>, Attila Kinali writes:
>On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 05:57:45 +0000
>"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
>
>> Everybody but the time-lords have always been told to stay away from
>> TAI in the strongest possible terms by said time-lords, who again and
>> told the world to use UTC.
>
>May i ask what the reason was to stay away from TAI?

That is a very good question, the answers you get if you try to press
this point starts with handwaving and ends with "look, just don't, OK ?"

There are certainly no technical issues, so I suspect a major part
of the "ban" is simply som that the metrology community do not want
external constraints on TAI, so that they can change it to suit
their needs without political paperwork.