[time-nuts] Why not TAI?

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Thu Aug 11 06:57:26 UTC 2011

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 16:35:11 +0200
cook michael <michael.cook at sfr.fr> wrote:

> > If TAI is a paper clock, what else should be used if a strictly monotone
> > time scale is needed?
> Do you have any specific application in mind?
> If you need an SI seconds rated scale, then you need something based on
> TAI. GPS time has a TAI second rate and is monotonic. But of course you
> would need a GPS receiver to access it.

I don't have a specific application in mind. Just a general question
on what should be used. But lets say i want to have a monotonic clock
for a computer system to timestamp events precisely and unambigously.

Yes, using GPS time (with or without going back to TAI) would be
a probable solution.

Are there any other time scales available that would fit that need?

			Attila Kinali

		-- Tirin, The Dispossessed, U. Le Guin