[time-nuts] frequency stabilty question

Paul A. Cianciolo paulc at snet.net
Mon Aug 15 23:57:13 UTC 2011

Hi Tom,

Ok .. what you say makes good sense.  If one is interested in the
performance over a specific period of time,  than do a test with that
specific period of time in mind.
I notice in a later email you posted a chart showing the ADEV beginning .01
seconds.  As expected it is worse at that short interval and gets better as
the averaging time increases.

This seems to me to be a little like and aliasing problem in the video
world.  If you are recording a rotating wheel(say at 1 rev per second) with
an index mark to indicate when the wheel is at zero degrees,  the sampling
rate had better not be 2 X the rotating rate or the wheel will appear to not
rotate. And who knows what happened between the 2 samples.  If you need to
find out what happened in the period between rotations one will need to
increase the sampling rate.

So use the proper Tau for the information you wish to acquire. Or use a
group of readings as in your Chart.

Thank you Tom,

Paul A. Cianciolo
W1VLF
http://www.rescueelectronics.com/
Our business computer network is  powered exclusively by solar and wind
power.
Converting Photons to Electrons for over 20 years