[time-nuts] Poor Mans ADEV Chart... Very Poor man

Paul A. Cianciolo paulc at snet.net
Wed Aug 17 15:09:33 UTC 2011

OK,

First let me thank John Miles for writing the TimeLab  software.
Bill,  W6BNQ for spending time with me on SKYPE explaining some big points I
was missing.
All the rest of the group for pitching in and helping me with the
fundamentals.
Thank you all very much

Right or wrong I am going to post this in hopes that  comments will help me
make  my next attempt  be more precise.
So here goes.

I have a Fluke 103A  Frequency Comparator with a "Linear Phase output"

This linear phase is from 0 to 3.60 Volts  corresponding to degrees.. .01
volts = 1 degree 3.6 volts = 360
With a resistive  load the voltage on the comparator, the voltage is not
3.6 volts but I assume still linear.

The "A" channel  reference input is my GPS Z3801a that has been on
continuously for at least the last 6 months.

The "B" Channel is the DUT, namely a Rakon Double oven OCXO

The Comparator was operated in the parts = 10 to -7  position
This was done so I could a good number of sample at 1 sec.

I offset the Rakon osc. so that in the it took roughly 1000 sec for it to
slip one cycle  compared to the reference

The sampling device is the Dataq  DI-154u a 12 bit  USB A/D convertor with
associated software.
The sample rate was 1 sample per sec.

There is another chunk of software that allows the DI-158U to export to a
Excel file... (more complicated than that but for now explanation suffices)

Once in excel  I copied and saved  the analog voltages to Notepad to make it
into a text file.

>From the text file, imported to TimeLab and measurement button depressed.

Big disappointment, the chart looked similar to what I have seen posted as
ADEV charts, but the  ADEV at 1000 sec was roughly 10 to -3

HA!!!  Dumb move on my part !!!!   SO after multiplication in excel by what
I THINK is the digit.. and running  again....
This is the graph that was created.
http://www.rescueelectronics.com/FREQUENCY.html
 Look at the bottom of the page and click on the thumbnail

This is my first attempt at the Poor Man's  ADEV chart.

Critiques of all kinds are welcome please!!

Paul A. Cianciolo
W1VLF
http://www.rescueelectronics.com/
Our business computer network is  powered exclusively by solar and wind
power.
Converting Photons to Electrons for over 20 years