[time-nuts] FS: HP 5328a

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Thu Aug 18 01:04:07 UTC 2011

At 01:22 PM 8/17/2011, normn3ykf at stny.rr.com wrote...
>No master oscillator. Complete and untested otherwise. has counter to
>512MHz. GPIB.  35$ plus shipping

Good deal. I'd think most around here have a 10 MHz source to feed it
with, so the lack of OSC shouldn't be an issue. I'd jump, but already
have two.

I will point out that the HP 5328a counter has a function where it can
act as a (1:10-1:10e7) decade divider. It's in the documentation, but
not obvious. One nice thing is that the input is subject to the level
and slope controls, which are much more capable than what's found on
most simple dividers, so you can work with a wider range of input
signals. It may work even without an internal OSC!

HP: "START A, STOP. Sets the counter to totalize the number of events
at the A input until STOP is selected, for N=l on the RESOLUTION
switch. For N>l, the number of counts divided by N is totalized. The
scaled output (i.e., frequency of A/N) is available at the Time Base
Out rear panel connector."

I don't know that anyone has characterized the jitter when using this
feature, though.