[time-nuts] any HP 5370B Available or other TIC

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Thu Aug 18 06:37:25 UTC 2011

Paul Cianciolo wrote:
> Hello Folks,
> I am looking for an instrument that is better than Fluke 103a comparator.
> The purpose of this piece of equipment is help me learn more about oscillators and characterizing them
>
> The HP5370B is the TIC I keep hearing about but I am not glued to that make or model.
> I wou;d like to hear suggestion from the group.
>
> Another way to go might be to build one of those units where there is a common oscillator is split and feeds the LO of 2 mixers.
> The RF side comes from the DUT and the REF
> Sorry I cannot remember the acronym... MDMM????
>
> I do have that Keithly model 776 Counter time with GPIB  I am really fuzzy on this aspect...
>
> Comments welcome
>
> Thank you
>
> PaulC
> W1VLF
>

> From: To: Sent:

DMTD or dual mixer time difference.
An all digital version (DDMTD like that used in CERN's White Rabbit) is
also possible
3 (and M) input versions are also feasible.
Either an FPGA or a CPD plus a microprocessor are required to ensure low
cost.

Sub 10ps resolution is readily achievable without significant difficulty.

Bruce