[time-nuts] any HP 5370B Available or other TIC

Javier Serrano javier.serrano.pareja at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 21:50:44 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 11:26 PM, Javier Herrero <jherrero at hvsistemas.es>wrote:

> My main interest is a TIC with better resolution than a 5370 and also with
> higher data flow, or with the capabilities to do some post-processing of a
> bunch of data. Really it is an idea I've from long, but not yet though too
> seriously on it (usually not too much time to dedicate to it :) ). I was at
> first thinking on an interpolator based TIC similar to the PICTIC idea (the
> ADC in the board seems handy for that), I've also read some papers about
> FPGA implementation of ~10ps resolution TICs, and then also the DDMTD idea
> has come. I really bought that little board only to play around (I could not
> resist the $79, that is only a bit over the digikey price for the FPGA
> alone, and that all the I/O pins are 2.54" spaced so it is very easy to play
> around with the signals and to build a "carrier" board for interfacing it) -
> the idea that could be the core for a nice TIC came after :) And well, if
> something good comes from it, we could "industrialize" the result at
> time-nuts level if there is some interest in the list :)

We are also working on a TDC in Spartan 6:
http://www.ohwr.org/projects/tdc-core/wiki
The result will be licensed under LGPL. The reference hardware platform will
be the SPEC board (http://www.ohwr.org/projects/spec/wiki) using a simple
digital I/O mezzanine (http://www.ohwr.org/projects/fmc-dio-5chttla/wiki).
Both cards are licensed under CERN Open Hardware Licence (
http://www.ohwr.org/projects/cernohl/wiki) so no strings attached on either
code or hardware.

Cheers,

Javier