[time-nuts] Racal 9420 OCXO

Dan Rae danrae at verizon.net
Wed Aug 24 19:09:04 UTC 2011

On 8/24/2011 8:03 AM, GandalfG8 at aol.com wrote:
> I suspect the comments I've seen claiming most do not have the EFC  option
> is more a case that in many installations it isn't used, which  isn't quite
> the same thing.

Absolutely Nigel.  If the thing is to be used on it's own with the top
multi turn cap as the only adjustment then  you link the 2.8 V output on
pin 5 to pin 6, the EFC input.  It looks like they were designed to suit
a number of roles.

I just pulled one out of the garage and it settled on 5.00000000 after
20 minutes, so perhaps I was a bit harsh on them.   Good value really at
the sort of price I have bought them for on eBay, less than $10 :^)  In
the days before GPS and cheap Rb the Racal OCXO in my 1992 counter was
the best standard I had, apart from my 50 [?] year old Sulzer maybe.

But I will still defer tracing out the circuit until I need to pull one
apart :^)

Dan