[time-nuts] 5370B Reference Output (was: 5370B airflow)

Heinzmann, Stefan (ALC NetworX GmbH) Stefan.Heinzmann at alcnetworx.de
Fri Aug 26 21:40:32 UTC 2011

I got some more niggles regarding my 5370B after the sidepanel question (btw, thanks for your answers!):

I have a spray of harmonics from the reference output. On this list it seemed to be agreed upon that the source was the 10MHz presence detection circuit, and the easy remedy would be disabling it, which only affects a useless service LED.

The problem is, that it didn't work for me. I disabled the circuit, and I still have harmonics. The source is a sharp kink in the sine waveform of the signal, and I suspect some sort of ground bounce or crosstalk is responsible for it, since it coincides with a square wave edge on the reference driver board.

I try to attach a scope snaphot and a spectrum. I hope you will be able to see it.

>From past discussions I conclude that I should be getting a relatively clean signal after disabling the detector circuit on A8, so would you agree that something is amiss? The counter works ok and doesn't show excessive jitter, but I'd rather have a cleaner reference signal for other uses...

Cheers
Stefan