[time-nuts] Heated crystal? & Rb tube corrosion (FE-5680A)

Steve . iteration69 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 20:22:27 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 12:10 PM, Bob Camp <lists at rtty.us> wrote:

> Hi

> The amount of Rb in the cell is quite small. Cell leakage would stop the
> unit from working. There's pretty much no way that the cell can / would
> cause corrosion and the unit keep working.

This is exactly what I was getting at with my original post.  /If/ The cell
can leak it will corrode the neighboring material, then signs of corrosion
would be a tale-tale sign that a DOA module is not easily repairable
without additional parts.

For what it's worth, I'll share some repair/ lab experiences.

Per my experience with heated ovens operating between 30c and 100c, in non
carrier atmosphere, an alkali leak of 10 parts per billion, at a rate of
two weeks, will cause corrosion in nearby low grade metallic parts in 6-8
months. Notice the strange units ppb/2wk, and wide range of conditions (30c
- 100c) these are the natural terms of the problem, which is all i have to
work with. These numbers were determined empirically by sampling a nearby
junction and sending the sample to the metals lab for analysis. 10ppb/two
weeks is a slow leak, but a leak none the less. 10ppm? It's amazing to see
what alkalines can do to components, solder joints, vias, and burried
traces on multiple layer boards. To be fair, the oven temperature,
operating voltage, and chopping frequency are major contributors to the
damage I have seen as well. But it all starts with a leak.

This one time an instrument had failed and I eventually figured out which
circuit was at fault, upon visual inspection of the board i noted several
vias which were dull, almost as if they were oxidized in some manor. But it
was only a handful if vias, all localized. Under a 300x microscope I pushed
the micro browser tip in to the via, the dull solder(or what was once
solder) came oozing out like putty. Keep in mind this was at 300x, and room
temperature. Sure, leaded solder appears somewhat plyable at 300x when
browsing with micro probes, but this was different. Very different. Being
very strange to me, I poked around all the damaged vias for awhile. I noted
that they had very high electrical resistance and was more so a capacitor
than a resistor or junction (but it was suppose to be a via connection..)
and it pitted my gold plated browser tip. I was not happy to destroy a good
HP micro browser, but at least i did find the problem with circuit. I also
noted that the plated through-holes, which made up the vias as well, was no
longer plated and the plating and nearby circuit appeared to have undergone
electrolysis. I cleaned the board with de ionized water, dried it,  and
manually jumped around the vias with light gauge wire.  Problem fixed.
Unfortunately I did not have the solder analyzed. I'm still curious as to
what had happened to the solder.

Steve