[time-nuts] Help with TCXO

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Dec 7 00:03:15 UTC 2011

> At the moment I'm in the 2.5nS resolution range and successfully made a
> GPSDO that my company uses for the DVB-T synchronization needs. Next step
> will be to use a Maxim/Dallas delay line to hardware correct the PPS by the
> negative sawtooth and try to improve the TDC resolution. Maybe a small
> Virtex will replace the Spartan...

Check out the high speed serial interfaces.  I think they have a mode where
you can use them as a raw serial to parallel interface: the receive PLL is
locked to the reference clock rather than the data stream.  A Spartan 6 blurb
says 3.2 gigabits which is 312.5 ps.

I think that can be made to work without fancy placement or calibration.  (I
haven't tried it.)