[time-nuts] High end OCXO alternatives (or maybe an high perf Rb ?)

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Thu Dec 8 13:34:11 UTC 2011

Hi Mark --

This may be challenging.  A good FTS-1050 can be very, very good indeed.
    I have one that seems to have a wideband noise floor problem (about
20dB worse than it should be) but has stability below 3e12 out to 200K
seconds -- it's just quite amazing.

Plots attached, with an HP 5065A Rb as the reference.  The short term
stability (below about 100 seconds) is limited by the reference, and
that's the hard part; a maser is about the only thing that can give you
low short term and low term stability.

Lacking a maser, the best strategy may be to use two references for
different tau ranges -- a very good OCXO for short term, and then an Rb
for long term.  Combine the plots and you'll probably see the point
where the lines intersect.

John
----