[time-nuts] synch for pendulum clock....

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Sun Dec 11 22:13:57 UTC 2011

Try:
http://www.bmumford.com/clocks/hj/hj0199.html
and similar stuff found by googling "driving pendulum clock"
Lots of food for thought. Mumford has put some thought into it.
A lot depends on why you want to drive the thing; e.g. measuring
perturbations in the gravitational field, a sensitive barometer,
temperature sensor, etc. etc.
Don

Brian, WA1ZMS
> This was talked about several years ago, but did anyone get a fully
> functional design running using electromagnets to synch at one or both
> ends of the travel?
>
> In the meantime I am using a sensor to measure the time period of the
> pendulum for this particular new grandmother wall clock and from that, I
> can synthesize a pulse train from one of the 10MHz lab clocks to drive
> the electromagnets to cause a subtle synch at the end(s) of the pendulum
> travel. The pulse train freq is custom for a given clock.
>
> Anyway...... that's my scheme for now.
> Feedback welcome.
>
> -Brian, WA1ZMS

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument
are as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
R. Bacon
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road