[time-nuts] gravity controlled pendulumn clock?

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Tue Dec 13 18:38:26 UTC 2011

Yes, but different seconds. I learned many years ago to use the RSF
(rod-stone-fortnight) system of units. Small errors are much smaller...
Don

Jim Lux
> On 12/13/11 8:57 AM, Bob Bownes wrote:
>> What's metric or Common Measure about seconds? ;)
>>
>> Bob
>

> AN excellent point.. aren't seconds the only unit that is the same in
> basically all measurement systems?  there's cgs, mks, SI, Imperial, US
> Customary, Avoirdupois, etc  and they all use seconds.
>

> And since this is timenuts.. where did the second originate (I recall a
> story about Galileo counting heartbeats for his experiments rolling
> balls down ramps... but that sounds a bit too convenient).
>
> Is it just dividing hours by 60 to get minutes and minutes by 60 to get
> seconds  (as my daughter was wont to say when learning fractions: curse
> those Babylonians)
>
> http://tf.boulder.nist.gov/general/pdf/2209.pdf
>
> makes it seem to be Claudius Ptolemy

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument
are as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
R. Bacon
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road