[time-nuts] gravity controlled pendulumn clock?

Reeves Paul Paul.Reeves at uk.thalesgroup.com
Wed Dec 14 08:45:37 UTC 2011

Oh dear, what have I helped to get going :-) It has certainly been
interesting reading! My point was, as Chuck notes, that the metre, kilogram
etc. are no more 'precise' than a yard, pound etc. being, essentially,
arbitrary units and the 'imperial' units can be defined just as accurately
and in the same way. I will certainly concede that things become
'interesting' when converting between different units outside of the
'metric' system (and the 'metric' system went through several versions -with
distinctly odd units - before the current standardised one) but that just
relates to my comment on the reduction of mental arithmetic abilities
nowadays as against simple decimal point shifting......
I'm not sure I would agree on being 'forced' to take on certain measurements
- we are a lot closer to Europe (sort of...), after all - but pints, inches
and miles do seem more 'natural' (a litre is just too much beer) and you
could never measure a cricket pitch in metres!
That's all from me,

Paul Reeves     G8GJA