[time-nuts] gravity controlled pendulumn clock?

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Wed Dec 14 21:04:04 UTC 2011

Good Lord, I thought he meant the cost of beer!!!!
Don

Jim Palfreyman
> John,
>
> No it isn't. Not even close to "the world around".
>
>>From WP:
>
> "One fluid ounce is 1⁄16 of a U.S. pint, 1⁄32 of a U.S. quart, and
> 1⁄128 of
> a U.S. gallon. The fluid ounce derives its name originally from being
> the
> volume of one ounce avoirdupois
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avoirdupois>of water, but in the U.S. it
> is defined as
> 1⁄128 of a U.S. gallon. Consequently, a fluid ounce of water weighs
> about
> 1.041 ounces avoirdupois.
>
> The saying "a pint's a pound the world around" refers to 16 US fluid
> ounces
> of water weighing approximately (about 4% more than) one pound
> avoirdupois.
> An imperial pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter."
>

> You also have troy and apothecary systems - all different. Urrghhh.
>

> A cubic metre holds 1000 litres (exactly) and a 10x10x10 cm container
> holds
> a litre (exactly). A litre of water weighs 1kg, A ml of water weight 1
> gram. (Fantastic for cooking btw - use digital scales, put your bowl on
> them, zero it and add, say, 250g of milk/water/most liquids)
>
> And if you want a laugh go youtube "American Chopper metric system" and
> watch that short video. It is the final conclusive proof why metric is
> superior.
>
> Jim
>

> On 15 December 2011 07:02, John Ackermann N8UR <jra at febo.com> wrote:
>
>> On 12/14/2011 2:29 PM, shalimr9 at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>  Another small thing I miss is that a liter of water weighs a kg
>> (under
>>> reference conditions, I forgot what that was :). Then the specific
>>> weight
>>> of various materials only has to be known by their "density" (ratio
>>> of
>>> specific weight compared to water). It makes all sorts of
>>> calculations (
>>> and guestimations) easy.
>>>

>> I remember one (and only one) thing from my 7th grade math teacher: "A
>> pint's a pound the world around."
>>
>> John

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument
are as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
R. Bacon
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road