[time-nuts] Why these Crystal Frequencies?

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Thu Dec 15 17:45:49 UTC 2011

16.384 MHz is of course 2^14 times 1 kHz.  This was used
as a clock for direct digital synthesizers in signal generators.
Most DDS's can't generate exact frequencies starting from a 10 MHz
clock.  There was  an Agilent arbitrary waveform generator that used this
as a clock because circular memory has a binary length.

The color burst frequency contains factors of 3,5,7,9, and 11, which are
important in terms of how early TV station hardware worked, using
multivibrator type frequency dividers.  11 is about the limit for those.

Rick N6RK