[time-nuts] metric / English

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Thu Dec 15 20:39:36 UTC 2011

Hi Chris:

Yes.  In hospitals they are measuring your height in feet and inches, but your weight is in kg (6' 1" 120 kg).  Sort of
like tire sizes which use inches for the wheel diameter and mm for the section width (P215/65R15 - 215mm section width,
15" rim diameter).

Even more interesting than the metric/English idea is that my local shop (all CNC) has a no extra cost tolerance that's
ten times tighter than the no extra charge tolerance (+/-500 Millionths) an experienced machinist can hold (+/-5 mils)
and they have coordinate measuring equipment to back up the much tighter tolerances you can get for the extra charge.

A related story is that back in the 1960s I was designing microwave parts, many of which were made on a lathe.  There
was a local shop that had chucker lathes (our company shop also had one) but this local shop would always come in below
the in house and competitive bids.  These all used "5C" collets.
http://www.prc68.com/I/Lathe.shtml
http://www.prc68.com/I/DrillPress.shtml#5C
It turned out the the low bid shop had a screw machine in the back room that was kept a secret for maybe a year or two.
The chuckers were really not being used to make parts.  But now screw machines have been replaced by fancier CNC
machines like the "12 Axis CNC Mill Turn Centers".

--
Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com