[time-nuts] "The GPS navigation is the weakest point,"

ed breya eb at telight.com
Fri Dec 16 01:51:54 UTC 2011

My guess is that the drone was on one mission out of many over Iran,
and one of these scenarios occurred:

1. It had a major internal failure and auto-landed or crashed, and
was then spotted and grabbed.

2. There was operator error or guidance failure, causing same result.

3. The Iranians finally spotted one and managed to shoot it down - or
do enough damage to force a landing.

4. It was an inside job - a mole or a hacker taking over from the
control end, or maybe messing with it enough to crash it.

5. The Iranians did as claimed - managed to interfere with it or
spoof it to land. If so, I think the know-how and equipment would
likely have come from Russia or China, who would have likely been
working on this type of thing since the advent of GPS.

Scenarios 4 and 5 are the scariest. What about cruise missiles? This
is all sounding like a movie plot.

I wonder the following questions:

Shouldn't these and other possibilities have been considered all
along, and various countermeasures worked out?

Do these drones have self-destruct capability?

Don't they also have plenty of video and sensing and other real-time
data linked back to base that would confirm proper guidance and
operation? At some point there must have been some indication that
all was not well.

Ed