[time-nuts] "The GPS navigation is the weakest point,"

gary lists at lazygranch.com
Fri Dec 16 01:55:50 UTC 2011

Wait a second. Rolling a Bronco on your composite is not a tough enough
test? !!!! You should get an award.

If the UAS is designed to maintain controlled flights while out of fuel,
it could be in much better shape than if it was a lawn dart.

Hard to believe, but the chances of surviving a plane crash are about
50%. Again, this is with a pilot attempting to maintain controlled flight.

There are mandrel schemes to make composites, much better than the foam
core schemes we backyard types makes. Those relatively cheap COTS
composite tubes are done with the mandrel technique, but apparently it
can be used for shapes that are more complex.

I've got an older copy of Prof. Strong's book. Good reading if you are
into this stuff.
> http://books.google.com/books/about/Fundamentals_of_composites_manufacturing.html?id=aCm9yvodiJcC

To keep this remotely on topic, S-2 glass is usually what they use in
radomes. The dielectric constant is close to free air. C-glass is good
also, but not as strong as S-2. They use S-2 in the AWACS dome.