[time-nuts] "The GPS navigation is the weakest point,"

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 16 05:27:34 UTC 2011

On 12/15/11 5:32 PM, Chris Albertson wrote:

> But still, running out of fuel?  There would have been little bits of
> airplane all over a hundred feet or more.    I can't see how it could
> survive an impact with the ground so well.

Running out of fuel is unlikely. Engine failure much more likely.

I can easily imagine it coming in for a landing and skidding to a stop
without turning into rubble.

The planes you see that are little bits of twisted metal are the ones
that ran into the side of a mountain going full speed, or jets that
"auger in".. again, not trying to land smoothly.  Faster impact and
bigger planes.

People land small planes made of thin sheet aluminum (not nearly as
tough as composites) with the gear up all the time and walk away from
it, leaving the plane essentially in the same shape: scraped up on the
bottom and a bent prop.