[time-nuts] how good an oscillator do you need for a GPS simulator

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 06:25:57 UTC 2011

For testing, I'd assume the gps simulator only needs to be good enough
that the receiver will detect the signal.   There is some Doppler
shift so the receiver must have to look over a wider range of
frequencies so if the simulator was inside that range it could work.
 Light travels at about one foot per nanosecond.   so your simulator
should need to know the time to within a few tens of nanoseconds.
Receivers can deal with not-perfect signal.  Multipath and refraction
are common.

You GPS simulator would likely have a GPS receiver inside of it and
sync to a real GPS.
--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California