[time-nuts] FE-5680A Rb Questions

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Fri Dec 16 13:29:47 UTC 2011

It has been pretty well shown that the lamp life is
effectively infinite.  The only thing that happens to
shorten an effective useful "campaign" of the lamp is
when the Rb plates out on the lamp envelope, and
renders the glass opaque.  That problem, however, is
easily remedied, by heating the glass until the Rb
evaporates, and then allowing it to redistribute to
a more desirable position out of the optical path.

Disassembly, and a heat gun are all that is necessary.

-Chuck Harris