[time-nuts] metric / English

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 18:54:44 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 9:45 AM, George Dubovsky <n4ua.va at gmail.com> wrote:

. I
> I...  suppose that at some very small level, there is some "error" in the metric
> threads produced (and I've never bothered to calculate it for my lathe) but
> it's a VERY small error that has never been an issue for me.

No error.  They fixed that problem 50 years ago by simply redefining
all Imperial lengths to be exact integer ratios of the meter.  the
inch is _exactly_ 25.4mm.   Ages ago 25.4 was only a "close"
approximation but since 1959 it has been exact.

So in a small way we already converted to the metric system 50 years
ago.  Miles, yards, feet, inches all are legally defined for the last
50 years by their relation to the meter.  And as I said those
relations are NOT approximations, they are definitions.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California