[time-nuts] My Racal-Dana 1992

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Mon Dec 19 18:15:53 UTC 2011

Antonio,

I suspected something like that.

I realized that I've never done a similar test so I'm correcting that
now.  Both the oscillator and the counter have been off for some time -
days for the counter due to equipment rearrangements and months for the
oscillator.  I replaced the 04E oscillator with the 04A oscillator to
see if the 04A's lower power drain would help a power problem I'm
having.  It didn't.

I installed the 04E oscillator and set up my 1992 to measure the
frequency of my Efratom FRK rubidium which has been running continuously
for about 3 months.  I'm using a gate time of 10 seconds.

The first reading after turn-on was about 370 Hz (yes, Hertz) low.
After 20 minutes the initial warm-up was complete and the reading was
238 counts (e.g.  0.238 Hz) above 10 MHz - well within the 1e-7
specification.  Now, after about 13 hrs, the reading is 78 counts high.
It's now dropping at about 1 count per hour, but there was a recent drop
of 4 counts in one hour as it works out the kinks.

It'll take a while to match the drift rate of your graph.  Then I'll
check the standby drift again.

Ed