[time-nuts] New precision watch

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Tue Dec 20 00:12:43 UTC 2011

Looking at the datasheet for the DS3232, it doesn't appear
that they mean for it to run off of a small coin cell in a
watch.  Its battery operating capability is purely to keep
it running when the main power is turned off.

I would suspect that the DS3232's power consumption is due
to its being able to drive sizable loads on its various pins.

There is nothing inherent in temperature correcting a clock
that should take significantly more power than would be used
in a normal watch chip.  Measuring the temperature would be
the most power hungry operation, I would suspect... but
fortunately that doesn't have to be done all that often,
perhaps once per minute.

After the temperature is measured, a lookup table can be used
to find a second by second correction value to be added to
the seconds counter.

-Chuck Harris