[time-nuts] Slightly OT -- Terminal Strip Covers?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 02:19:54 UTC 2011

Barier strips usually have four screw holes for mounting, two on each end.
 The "classic" cover uses these mounting screws to also hold a Plexiglas
cover the is just slightly larger than the strip.

When I hade a sailboat, I used many of thee strips and I'd paint over the
screws with "liquid electrical tape"  They sell it in small cans at Home
Depot.  It is a thick liquid vinyl and there is a brush stuck to the inside
of the cap.  It is effective to prevent corrosion and prevent accidental
shorts.

But for mains AC, I'd use that and a mechanical cover too.  Replace the
screw that holds the strip with a longer one to also hold the cover.  Maybe
you need a spacer.

If you need a cover, get cake or breads pans of the local thrift store for
about $1 each.  Turn one upside down to cover your breadboard.

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 5:40 PM, Frederick Bray <fwbray at mminternet.com>wrote:

> This is slightly OT, but what are people using to protect the line inputs
> on barrier terminal strips on power supplies often used to power
> Thunderbolts and FE-5680A's?
>
> On things like the "Mean Well" and similar supplies the AC line terminals
> are not fully enclosed.  I happened to have an enclosure that fit one
> supply, but I have a couple others that I don't have enclosures for.  I
> would feel a lot more comfortable knowing that it wasn't possible to come
> in contact with these terminals accidentally.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Fred Bray
> W6WAW

Chris Albertson