[time-nuts] Thunderbolt? (re simple gpsdo.)

Robert LaJeunesse rlajeunesse at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 30 23:23:49 UTC 2011

It has occurred to me that using 3/4 of a quad 256-step digital pot (like
the AD5263, only 6$) set up as a Kelvin-Varley divider might be an alternative
to a DAC. Use 2 sections both voltage driven but set 2 values apart, such that
the "wiper" arms are just a fraction of the reference apart. That's a coarse
adjust, effectively 8-bit. Use a 3rd section between the wiper arms of the first
2 for a fine adjust, now effectively 7 bits since the coarse are 2 steps apart.
Generally monotonic since all the divider resistors are integrated on one chip,
and with about 30 ppm resolution. Seems a 5 ppm/C reference would be a good
match, the LTC6652 is also about $6. (Possibly even use the last digipot section
with a filter amplifier to trim the result +/- 50 ppm or so.) With the AD5263
you get 5 ppm/C stability, so only 6C temp swing eats up one LSB. I'd think
about using only 25 ppm/C or better resistors and putting the whole thing in an
oven...

Then again, a small micro with two 10-bit PWM outputs is a lot cheaper, and they
can be combined and filtered to effect a 16-bit converter with only a few parts.