[time-nuts] 10MHz to 80MHz frequency multiplier suggestions

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Tue Feb 1 12:35:28 UTC 2011

> Whilst the close in phase noise of the ADC used in the TSC5115 may be
> comparable with that of a 74AC04 the phase noise floor of such ADCs is
> degraded when clocked by a 74AC04...
> In particular such ADCs have been be used to measure the jitter of
> various logic families by using devices from the logic family to drive
> the ADC clcok /encode inputs and comparing the increased noise floor
> with that when the ADC clock/encode inputs are driven with a bandpass
> filtered low phase noise sine wave.

The AC gate will definitely get noisier towards 100 MHz than at 10 MHz where
I ran most of my measurements.  It would be hard to measure the contribution
of a 74AC gate at 10 MHz with one of these ADCs, but yes -- if you put it in
the clock path it will degrade the performance of a ULN oscillator
noticeably.

It's worth keeping the Perseus's stock frequency reference in mind, though.
The performance tests in the Analog app notes assume the use of an
oscillator that costs >2x what the whole receiver does.

So... will the output of an 80 MHz multiplier based on cascaded 74AC stages
be noisier than the $10 80 MHz oscillator that came with the receiver?  I'm
guessing not.  When I measured the 74AC04 at 100 MHz, its residual noise
crossed the -150 dBc/Hz line between 1 and 3 kHz, so it probably would not
degrade anything much noisier than a Sprinter-class OCXO.

-- john, KE5FX