[time-nuts] From GPS World - Lightsquared has been given the goahead

Mark Spencer mspencer12345 at yahoo.ca
Wed Feb 2 16:01:22 UTC 2011

That's quite possible, another option is that aviation receivers may err on the
side of caution and not use GPS signals that are considered to be degraded
beyond a certain level.   This is just speculation on my part.

As other posters have pointed it seems a bit ironic that shortly after shutting
down Loran in the US this issue emerges, although I seem to recall there is a
move towards a new GPS frequency band for safety of life applications (the L5
Signal IIRC ?)

Your comment about the improvements in signal processing is a good one and
pondering this issue a bit more I wonder how much advancement has occurred in
timing receivers over the years versus consumer devices which likely have a
shorter product cycle.   This may lead to more issues in timing applications.