[time-nuts] GPS receiver jamming

John Green wpxs472 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 18:28:11 UTC 2011

The timing grade receiver I have, a Z3801 absolutely lays down at the
least possible amount of on frequency signal. My automotive grade
Garmin is immune to even high levels. It may be that the slightest
degradation is unacceptable to the Z3801. More testing is needed. If
these anticipated transmitters are merely close in frequency with no
actual energy at GPS frequencies, this looks like an excellent
business opportunity for someone to make and sell GPS antennas with
aggressive filtering. If they actually emit energy at GPS frequencies,
we are pretty much done for. I have seen the Youtube video of a
military GPS resisting jamming but I seriously doubt they would become
common place.