[time-nuts] Frequency multiplication

David Armstrong armstrong at sedsystems.ca
Wed Feb 2 19:17:12 UTC 2011

FPGA's do not have good jitter performance.  Both Altera and Xilinx have
app notes and specs on what to expect for jitter performance.

Particularly when using high speed DACs (like the ADI AD9739) the
technique used is to drive the DAC with a good quality clock, then the
DAC drives the FPGA.   With high speed dac's like this there is often a
DLL used to optimize the data edges with respect to the clock.

Similar techniques are used in the other direction ADC ._ FPGA.  The
good clock is given to the DAC which presents the clock to the FPGA.

The clock out of an FPGA may be good enough depending on what you are
using it for but check carefully!