[time-nuts] Check out my photos on Facebook

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Feb 5 04:57:08 UTC 2011

Interesting timing.  I'm on an anti-spam list which was recently discussing
how to avoid getting your gmail password captured by the bad guys.  My
contribution to that discussion was don't give your password to "neat" sites
that offer you you some cool feature...

In case anybody isn't familiar with Facebook, they have a long history of
horrible privacy problems.  Most (all?) of them are policy rather than coding
bugs.  This event is typical, but far from limited to Facebook.  There are
many Facebook-wantabe sites out there scheming for ways to get your password
so they can snarf your address book and spam all your friends and monetize
that data and ...

Stanley...  I assume you gave Facebook your yahoo password.  As far as I can
tell, you are neither an idiot nor an asshole.  You just got suckered by
Facebook.  What did they offer you in trade?  Did they cleanly explain that
they would harvest your address book and spam (er invite) all your "friends"?

febo-John:  Do you get any legitimate mail from Facebook?  Can you block all
of their IP addresses?  If yes, I'll see if I can find a list of their IP
address blocks.