[time-nuts] OT- RMC sentence and magnetic variation/compensation in GPS module

David Martindale dave.martindale at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 17:54:30 UTC 2011

Garmin receivers provide that data in their RMC sentence.  They
apparently calculate it automatically using a mathematical model of
the earth's magnetic field, so its accuracy would depend on the
accuracy of the model.  The GPS system itself does not provide a way
to measure variation.

With the handheld models, this estimated variation is used to display
magnetic headings and bearings, if that's what you select instead of
true.  It's certainly convenient to use all magnetic values when your
compass reads only magnetic bearings (e.g. inexpensive compasses, most
sighting compasses).  The handheld receivers also allow you to set the
variation manually, if you know its value more accurately than the
estimate the receiver calculates.

Even the Garmin board-level receivers (e.g. GPS 25) output variation,
probably because Garmin already has the model for their other
receivers.

But omitting the magnetic variation data is apparently pretty common,
and it hardly seems like an essential function of a GPS receiver since
this can't be obtained as part of navigation.

     Dave