[time-nuts] Thunderbolt behaviour with long time constants.

Mark Spencer mspencer12345 at yahoo.ca
Wed Feb 9 03:48:09 UTC 2011

First apologies for the zipped attachement.

I thought some members of the mailing list might find the attached plot of the
performance of my Thunderbolt to be interesting.    After looking at the
performance of my Thunderbolt with a time constant of 225 seconds which seems to

be about right for my Thunderbolt, I noticed that the Allan deviation appeared
to be be reduced at high values of Tau (approx 2,000 seconds..)

I then changed the time constant of my Thunderbolt to 2,000 seconds and compared

the two plots.   I'm quite surprised at the result and the similarity between
the peformance at low values of tau with the two different time constants.
I took 4 readings per second with a 5370B, hence each unit of tau on the graph
is approx .25 of a second.

I'll likley try other time constants in the future