[time-nuts] HP 5372A vs. 5370A

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Wed Feb 9 21:31:33 UTC 2011

Hi Ed,

excellent email. You raise the SNR of this forum!

I have tried to measure the CW-12 output myself with phase noise and Allan
Deviation equipment, and the constant cycle jumps prevent these from giving
 sensible results. Both PN and ADEV plots look awful, many orders of
magnitude  noisier than even an average oscillator. Glad to know that  your 5372A
could get the job done.

btw: jumping cycles 200 times a second is not disciplining an oscillator,
it's numerically controlling a frequency. Thus the CW-12 cannot  be
considered a GPSDO due to the massive 8ns phase jumps. But for many  apps such as
driving a microprocessor clocks this may be good enough, even  though one has
to be careful that their internal PLL's can lock to such a noisy  (jumpy)
source. Of course the number of corrections per second should have  a very
strong correlation to temperature as the TCXO used on the CW-12 drifts  over
temperature.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 2/9/2011 13:14:16 Pacific Standard Time,