[time-nuts] HP 5372A vs. 5370A

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Thu Feb 10 17:44:40 UTC 2011

I don't understand why you need something like the 537x counters for
long-term measurement.

The 200 ps resolution of the 5372A gives you a noise floor of about
5e-14 @ 4000 seconds.  Something like the Pictic II gives you better
resolution at a fraction of the size, heat, noise, and power.  Even a
Racal-Dana 1992 with it's 1 ns resolution gives you 2.5 e-13 @ 4000
seconds and it gets better as Tau increases.

Am I missing something?

Ed