[time-nuts] 2nd 5370B

Collins, Graham CollinG at navcanada.ca
Fri Feb 11 19:29:22 UTC 2011

WD40 (according to the MSDS) is principally Stodard Solvent and light petroleum oil.

Stodard solvent can be thought of as pretty much as and having similar properties to kerosene. The light petroleum oil can be thought of and having simliar properties to something like 3 in 1 oil. I can't say what the propellent would be in a spary.  Proportion wise, the light petroleum oil is approximately 1/3 by volume. I have confirmed this by leaving a sample sit and measuring the remaining "oil".

I wouldn't use WD40 anywhere I wouldn't use either kerosene or oil and my preference is no where inside a piece of electronic equipment.

Years ago I used a product called Neutrol for use in cleaning and lubricating controls such as pots and edge connectors. I haven't used it in many years nor do I know if it is still availabe.

Today my preference is DeOxit.

When something needs a real good cleaning I will use isopropal (spelling?) alcohol and something like a qtip or cotton cloth followed by a wee bit DeOxit.

Cheers, Graham ve3gtc