shalimr9 at gmail.com shalimr9 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 14:22:19 UTC 2011

In many instruments, a lot of the fan noise is actually noise from the air blowing over obstructions, so changing the fan will not reduce that noise, unless the air flow is reduced. That will be generally true for the type of equipment that dissipates a lot of heat in a small package, like a Tek 492/494 spectrum analyzer.
Support bars and perforated panels just in front of the fan are often not helping with the noise or the air flow.
I think the 5370 is not that bad from an obstruction standpoint, and a lot of the noise is actually due to the age and design of the fan itself.
In some cases, mounting an AC fan on rubber mounts may help with vibrations, if you have the room.

I agree with Hal, in my experience, older AC fans with metal blades tend to be much noisier than recent DC fans with plastic blades for comparable air flow.

Didier KO4BB