[time-nuts] Thunderbolt Supply

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Tue Feb 15 09:47:31 UTC 2011

On 02/15/2011 04:18 AM, Charles P. Steinmetz wrote:
> Bob wrote:
>
>> If all you are doing is running a Thunderbolt, you don't need a supply
>> that's more quiet than most batteries.
>
> Most batteries are *very* quiet -- it takes heroic measures to get *any*
> actively regulated supply into that ballpark. Indeed, one might be
> tempted to run a Tbolt off of three batteries, each one charged by a
> low-noise, high-impedance current source that puts out about .05 CV more
> than the Tbolt draws. One could even turn the charging off for short
> periods of "minimal noise" operation, if the batteries were suitably
> sized. However, in either case I would be concerned that the drift of
> one or more of the battery voltages (poor absolute regulation) might
> introduce another source of XO drift -- but I have not tried it.

This has gone overboard. The T-bolt generates digital noise all by
itself. It's the OCXO which would benefit most from a clean supply and
isolation from the rest of the T-bolt except that temp-sensor.

Providing ultra-clean supplies to the digital logic would be overkill,
as it would mess it up itself anyway.

Cheers,
Magnus