[time-nuts] Thunderbolt Supply

Flemming Larsen oz6oi at yahoo.dk
Wed Feb 16 06:19:11 UTC 2011

> This has gone overboard.

As a sailor I'm careful about using that phrase.

Thanks for all the suggestions and information. I;m now back to my original plan to use the Power-One +5V and +/- 15V switching power supply, followed by a pair of 7812/7912 voltage regulators for the + and - 12V. The power supply and Thunderbolt will be mounted in separate enclosures connected with a short(12") cable. I will add ferrite beads on both ends of the wires where they exit and enter the two enclosures, paralleled with 0.1 uF capacitors to ground. The 12 volt regulators will be filtered with 2200uF electrolytic capacitors on each input and 10uF on each output. The 7812/7912 regulators will be mounted on heatsinks mounted on spacers on the back of the enclosure.

 I am not sure what to do, if anything, to the +5 volt other than adding an inductor of the power-line filter variety in series. If I can find some feed-through capacitors of the threaded variety, I may add them to the back of the Thunderbolt enclosure to replace the original connector.

All of this will be mounted on the back of a 1U rack panel.

Now, if I could find the correct HP paint code ...

-- Flemming Larsen    OZ6OI/KB6ADS    Berkeley, CA, USA