[time-nuts] Tool Needed to Access my Timer Battery

William H. Fite omniryx at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 15:24:20 UTC 2011

That estimate is probably about right.  It hasn't been quite that expensive
for me but then I have a couple of Omegas; gave my Rolex to my nephew years
ago.

For your money, they remove the movement (or the calibre...or the ébauche et
assortiments...depending on how horologically snooty you care to be.  They
clean it, inspect it and replace worn parts, reassemble and lubricate.  They
then test it for accuracy in their own lab.  If it passes house standards,
they will send the movement (still out of the case at this point) to the
Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres where it will be tested for a
number of days, in a number of positions, at a number of temperatures.
Assuming it passes, they put it back into the case, which has, in the
meantime, been cleaned, repaired if needed, and buffed.  They then ship the
watch back to you with a new warranty and a new COSC chronometer
certification.

Considering that the bottom end for a Rolex nowadays is on the order of $3K
and even a lowly Omega Seamaster starts at about $1500, this fee does not
seem excessive to me.

Of course, if'n you don't care, just take it to your local Kay's.  After
all, every kiss begins with Kay.  But understand that the kiss you get will
be kissing your fine movement goodbye much before its time.

But I wouldn't pay that to have a quartz watch overhauled.  That is the care
you give to a fine mechanical calibre, not a crystal and a battery.  After
all (shudder) it is quartz.  Quartz belongs on the bench, not on your
wrist.  Some Rolex owners are ashamed to admit that Rolex even makes a
quartz watch.  If I had a pricey quartz watch and it failed, I'd probably
just have a new quartz movement from Seiko or whoever slapped into my
expensive case and get on with my life.

Those of you who no longer wear wrist watches and have some in your dresser
drawers with mechanical movements, feel free to send them to me.  I'll sort
out the wheat from the chaff.[?]

Bill