[time-nuts] Freq cal to 1ppm without GPSDO

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 06:27:36 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 10:09 PM, John Beale <beale at bealecorner.com> wrote:
> Hi Murray,
>
> Thanks to you and the others for your replies. After some more HF reception
> problems here, I have come to the same conclusion as you. I found an Oncore
> M12+ timing GPS is available pretty cheap from Hong Kong, so that's my plan.

Yes they sell for about $35 on EB.  But you will need to build a
support/interface for it.  Yo will need some voltage regulators, a
74*04 inverter (the RS232 standard has DCD non-inverted but inverts
data) TTL to RS232 level converters, 10-pin female headers and other
misc parts.  And a GPS antenna and cable.  Also I think it uses an MCX
connector for the antenna cable.   You either have to get an MCX cable
or replace the connector on the M12+  A just went through this process
and can now blink a LED at 1Hz but as of yet not much else.  Those
Oncore GPS receivers are great but as shipped from Hong Kong they are
just a bare receiver, not a working system.

--
=====
Chris Albertson