[time-nuts] Garmin 18x, new firmware Ver 3.60, NOT recommended for Time Nuts!

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Feb 18 07:44:22 UTC 2011

From: "jim s" <jws at jwsss.com>
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2011 7:12 AM
To: "Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement"
<time-nuts at febo.com>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Garmin 18x, new firmware Ver 3.60, NOT
recommended for Time Nuts!

> I am curious what software and version you are running with these.

Personally, I'm running the 3.50 firmware, with the device connected to a
Windows-7 PC running NTP - (ntpd 4.2.7p97).  The software is configured to
use just the PPS signal from the GPS, with the "seconds" being taken from
other servers.  One of those other servers is a FreeBSD system connected
to a GPS 18 LVC mounted on the roof, which I trust!  You can see the
performance of both systems here:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_ntp.php

The FreeBSD/GPS 18 LVC is PC Pixie, and the Windows-7/18x system is
Stamsund - not a primary server but interesting to see just what Windows
can do - it's mostly well within about fifty microseconds.  The FreeBSD
system is within about 10 microseconds.  On both, you can see the effect
of the heating switching on just before 06:00 UTC quite clearly!

Cheers,
David
Web:  http://www.satsignal.eu
Email:  david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk