[time-nuts] Rom Expansion for HP5370B

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Feb 21 07:20:49 UTC 2011

In message <5EED908F-6A51-4447-B433-84B0E0FDD289 at jks.com>, John Seamons writes:
>I've been looking at this a bit recently.
>Pictures here: http://jks.com

Kudos for that picture :-)

>I have a question about the dead time of the 5370.
>Can it be eliminated with a fast enough processor, buffering,
>interface, etc. or is it intrinsic to the measurement hardware
>itself?

That is a very good question.

The first issue is that I pressume the two startable oscillators
needs to have some time in the PLL state to stay on frequency,
but I have no idea how much time/duty-cycle is required.

The second part is that you only have one N0 counter and presumably
you would need two to ping-pong between the two inputs.

Poul-Henning

PS: let me know if there is anything I can tell you about the firmware.